Monday, January 8, 2018

Leadership: Week 6: Leadership Theories, Styles and Attributes

Leadership Theories, Styles and Attributes


Leadership Assessment 1
In your LEADERSHIP 1 assessment you'll need to write (either individually, or in groups of two or three) a cohesive essay where you critically analyse the leadership of a change initiative that you were involved with in the past. Identify the leadership theories, styles and attributes used and evaluate their effectiveness. When reflecting on the leadership attributes and styles used, provide evidence where possible (e.g. interview class or team members who were involved). You can choose the leadership theories freely, they just have to be ones that are recognised in research literature.

You then plan your leadership of a future digital and collaborative change initiative. Indicate how insights gained from reflecting on the past initiative have influenced your plan for leading the future initiative. Remember that the focus of the plan is your leadership - not the initiative itself.
Look at the rubic and keep it simple. Describe the change-simple/critically reflect- followship is important. Develop a plan. 
(Could use Rogers diffusion of innovation theory)

When thinking about a change initiative that we have done in the past I want to think of something that we introduced in 2017 when I was Acting principal and Vanessa was DP. Ideas could be.... 
Moving to digital planning.
Introduction of Google docs
Introduction of chromebooks to yrs 5/6
  • Transactional
  • Transformational
  • Pedagogical
  • Distributed
  • Servant (Agile)
  • Tū Rangatira
  • Situational
Leadership Styles
Situational leadership (Hersey, Blanchard & Johnson, 1969) is interesting from the perspective of linking theory and style. It suggests that leaders adjust their leadership styles based on the 'readiness' of their followers. Situational leadership theory argues that for leaders to be truly successful, they must adjust the way they lead their teams, to suit two factors:
  • The ‘task maturity’ of the people they are leading (that is, how competent a person or team is at the task at hand)
  • The details of the task 
The Situational leadership model suggests four quadrants. Each quadrant denotes a different leadership style. In situational leadership theory, leaders place more or less emphasis on the task, and more or less emphasis on the empowerment of the people they’re leading, depending on what’s needed to get the job done successfully
How to find your style of leadership quiz:

My results: 
Authoritarian 35
Procedural 35
Transformational 32
Participative 35
Laissez-Faire 28

I was a 3 way split with Authoritarian/Procedural/Participative
Authoritarian:
The leader has a lot of power over team members & has the right to reward good performance or punish members if they don't reach the agreed standard.
Participative:
Builds consensus through participation: the leader makes the final decision, but the team to contribute to the decision-making process.
Procedural:
Work “by the book”: team members follow procedures precisely. 
Focuses only on getting the job done, & can be quite autocratic. 
Little thought given to the well-being of team members
Task Orientated vs relationship orientated: both procedural & transformational leaders are usually needed. "managers" focus on tasks while "leaders" focus on people.

Quiz at

Reflection:
I can see where the results come from. I am not very good at delegating and like to get tasks done so can become very solurtion focused and authoritarian. The quiz talks about this working well for short term situations if you have a very motivated team. The problem being that when the leader is absent the work stops. Not a style to be used long term.
I also can see the procedural. I get problem and task focused and have a need to get the job done. I can think very quickly and see what needs to get done and sometimes I dont have the patience to wait and get everyone else onboard and involved.  Can be autocratic when I become so focussed on getting the job done. Cons is that it can be demoralizing for staff. 
I also am equally participative. 
I do see that as I do discuss things with my teams, and get their opinion on things. The leader asks the team's opinions & uses these to make decisions. The team is kept informed & are allowed to discuss & propose changes to policy.
This is important to me. But sometimes as a leader decisions need to be made quickly or tasks completed quickly where I slip into other roles but my prefered style is participative. 


No comments:

Post a Comment